Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP Starlog

Blog Entries

Default RIP Starlog

http://weimarworld.blogspot.com/2009...t-starlog.html

You were a great magazine in the mid-70s through 1980s.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
    You were a great magazine in the mid-70s through 1980s.
    Yes it was. RIP. :/

Yeah, I enjoyed my Starlogs!
    -------------------------------------------------------
    "Live, Highlander, grow stronger. Fight another day." Methos - The episode "Methos" from Season Three, Highlander the Series.

It was a great magazine once. But it's been creatively dead even longer than American SF TV. Can't say I'll miss it in it's current form.

monolith21 Guest

Bummer. I was just reading that issue. I've always liked Starlog. True, it was a lot better back in the 80's and even a bit in the 90's...However they had better material to report on!

Yeah, I bought tons of Starlog magazines including many back issues, however, the content seemed to go downhill in the 90's. I'll stick to my 70's and 80's Starlogs. The first Starlog I ever got was #20 with Superman on the cover...

Last edited by Galactifan; 04-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.

I remember the first time I went to a Walden Books back in 1976, it was right around the time that the 3rd issue of Starlog was on the magazine racks. I bought every issue I could get my hands on for years. Around the early 90s or so, the magazine seemed to take a downward turn in quality and I would buy the occasional issue, but it was no longer one of those "must have" magazines. In recent years, I've gone to the coffee bar in Barnes and Noble or Borders and read the most current issue while having a bit of caffeine and a snack. It's just not the magazine it used to be and there are so many others out there these days that are far better. In the 70's, mags like Starlog, Future and related publications were breaking the wave, but most of the mags in that grouping just fell by the wayside.

I read the link and they say that they're revamping and hopefully re-releasing the mag with a new look and format. I hope they've done some kind of research to find out where their readers went and why. Still, 33 years for a SciFi entertainment magazine is a very long time.

Bryan
    "If you can't fix it, you have to stand it" - Ennis Del Mar - Brokeback Mountain

That bites.

Used to run to the magazine stands in my earlier day's to get the new copy.

Rest in peace for sure.

crash4587 Guest

My First Starlog had Space 1999 eagle blueprints in it. Like Starlog 7 or 8. The Mag took a bad left turn in the late 80s. Howard Zimmerman allways dis'ted BG. I am sad to see it go

Quote Originally Posted by crash4587 View Post
    My First Starlog had Space 1999 eagle blueprints in it. Like Starlog 7 or 8. The Mag took a bad left turn in the late 80s. Howard Zimmerman allways dis'ted BG. I am sad to see it go
    That was issue 7 - I remember, it had a picture of an X-Wing on the cover...

Good god, I didn't even have to pull out the mag to recall that. The first few issues are burned into my brain for some reason!

Bryan
    "If you can't fix it, you have to stand it" - Ennis Del Mar - Brokeback Mountain