Thread: Avengers: Infinity War (2018) No Spoilers Review

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Avengers: Infinity War (2018) No Spoilers Review

This morning (Sunday, April 29th), I went to see Avengers: Infinity War, with my nephew, Thomas.

Of the now, 18 Marvel Cinematic Universe films, this was the 17th we’ve watched together, the exception being the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

If you have seen the trailers for the film, the trailers do misdirect you into what you think is going to happen, so there are plenty of surprises in store, one of them being a character from Phase 1 of the MCU.

The film all hinges on the believability and threat of main villain, Thanos, as voiced and motion captured by actor Josh Brolin. If you saw the teaser trailer for the film, Thanos, quite rightly came in for a lot of stick for the quality of the CGI. Well, it isn’t a problem in the film, the character being well up to snuff quality wise, and giving a nuanced performance thanks to the actor’s and technicians’ efforts.

One of the best and most shocking scenes in the film is when you learn of Thanos’s feelings towards another character, and the pain he experiences in coming to a decision that he must make to achieve his goal.

The story itself combines different characters in multiple teams throughout the galaxy and you can quite easily understand where everybody is and what they’re supposed to be doing, the biggest problem I had with the film, is that I thought the sound wasn’t great.

All the cast have some great scripted moments, Thanos and Scarlet Witch having the best scenes, in my opinion, though I’ve been a big fan of Pom Klementieff’s Mantis, since she appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy – Awesome Mix 2.

There are some great action set-pieces, quips – the film is very funny and the score by Alan Silvestri is notable, usually, I think the scores are weak in MCU movies.

I can’t wait for Avengers 4, though I do feel that the Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity Stones do have the potential to be a Deus Ex Machina if wielded by anyone other than Thanos.

4.5/5
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

It was good. No spoilers there.

It was good. I went into it cold, or as cold as I could, and I enjoyed it. It does help if you have seen all the previous movies to get a feel for each character, know where they are, and what's going on. I also liked how it got right to it, no lead-in, no prolog.
    The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.

Robert A. Heinlein

It was very good. All done with the snap of a finger.
    Jim