Thread: A warning about DELL computers...

Default A warning about DELL computers...

Do NOT EVER buy a Dell computer that is purported to be a gaming platform or CG modeling PC.

I was in the throes of finishing my refit USS Enterprise CG model in Blender. Just as I hit the "Save" button in Blender, my piece of s*** Dell computer (which is supposed to be a "gaming rig"--which means it should definitely be able to handle CG modeling) decided to randomly "reset" itself. It has done this several times since I've purchased it, but now it decides to do it at a most inopportune time.

The end result....I lost my finished refit of the USS Enterprise. (Thankfully, I never put all my eggs in one basket, and have older saves....so all is not lost, I'm just going to have to go back and rebuild certain components again -- largely cosmetic things like phaser banks, nomenclature strips, check for normals placement, etc.)

But folks, take my advice and NEVER buy a Dell computer for anything but the most basic computer needs (internet maybe word processing, etc.) If you see a DELL computer that is supposed to be a gaming rig....AVOID it with extreme prejudice.

Yes, I know... "Welcome, Steve, to the sadly real world of computer modeling."
    That little bit of humor though does not make it any easier to digest.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Steve,

Just a thought. If you are running Windows 10 there's a serious intrusion problem with windows update in windows 10. It's happened to me a lot. I will model and leave my programs open over night. Come to in the morning and windows has restarted on it's own. Microsoft in there infinite wisdom does not ask you when you want to restart to finish installing updates. There is a place that you can go in setting to tell windows not to look for updates for up to 45 days. I just go and reset it periodically.

I don't know if this is what is happening to you but it's happened to a ton of people. If i wasn't so intrenched with my windows programs and the dollars involved i would switch to Mac.

Don't know if this is your problem but just spit balling here.

PS...I have been using Dell workstations for about 20 years and have always had a stable platform. Windows 10 is the true demon
    Last edited by Titon; 04-16-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titon View Post
    Steve,

Just a thought. If you are running Windows 10 there's a serious intrusion problem with windows update in windows 10. It's happened to me a lot. I will model and leave my programs open over night. Come to in the morning and windows has restarted on it's own. Microsoft in there infinite wisdom does not ask you when you want to restart to finish installing updates. There is a place that you can go in setting to tell windows not to look for updates for up to 45 days. I just go and reset it periodically.

I don't know if this is what is happening to you but it's happened to a ton of people. If i wasn't so intrenched with my windows programs and the dollars involved i would switch to Mac.

PS...I have been using Dell workstations for about 20 years and have always had a stable platform. Windows 10 is the true demon
    Aye, this is something that had happened to me quite a few times since I bought this machine. Just randomly decides to reset... but this is the first time it actually corrupted a file.

Of course, this is a Dell that is purported to be a "gaming rig", but it is not an Alienware, so.....

Thankfully, I did have an older save point, so I ended up streamlining some of the build from that point. Kinda blessing and curse. Mostly curse, but....

I'm just glad I didn't make this on a single save.... that would've had me feeling inclined to just throw the damned thing through a wall.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Quote Originally Posted by Titon View Post
    Steve,

that very thing has seriously messed up computers at my work a couple of times. I think our IT guy has used the 45 day thing as well.
    "Intellect and romance triumph over brute force and cynicism." —Craig Ferguson

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.' - Ronald Reagan

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney

Quote Originally Posted by Martok2112 View Post
    Aye, this is something that had happened to me quite a few times since I bought this machine. Just randomly decides to reset... but this is the first time it actually corrupted a file.

Of course, this is a Dell that is purported to be a "gaming rig", but it is not an Alienware, so.....

Thankfully, I did have an older save point, so I ended up streamlining some of the build from that point. Kinda blessing and curse. Mostly curse, but....

I'm just glad I didn't make this on a single save.... that would've had me feeling inclined to just throw the damned thing through a wall.

Next time you need a "gaming rig" check out Digital Storm. I've had two of them. The last one I had for 8 years. Only had to upgrade the video card once to game on highest settings. Fantastic customer and tech support. I would never by another one anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Cain View Post
    Next time you need a "gaming rig" check out Digital Storm. I've had two of them. The last one I had for 8 years. Only had to upgrade the video card once to game on highest settings. Fantastic customer and tech support. I would never by another one anywhere else.
    I think you're the second person to have recommended Digital Storm to me....i shall have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok2112 View Post
    I think you're the second person to have recommended Digital Storm to me....i shall have to check this out.
    Great forum community too. Very helpful.