Thread: Solo: a star Wars Story (New Trailer)

Blog Entries

Default Solo: a star Wars Story (New Trailer)

"The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
    I'm stoked!
    It looks to me like the "Star Wars Stories" are gong to be hella better than the Saga (episodic) movies. Rogue One is already evidence of this, in my most humble opinion.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

I was on the fence about this until this trailer. I can't wait to see it.
    The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.

Robert A. Heinlein

I loved the music at the beginning of this trailer too. And the way this is shaping up, it makes me think of Firefly just a little bit.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Trailer looks really good. But I have to admit the fact that the guy looks nothing like Harrison Ford kind of pulls me out of it a bit. Maybe it won't in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity Orange View Post
    Trailer looks really good. But I have to admit the fact that the guy looks nothing like Harrison Ford kind of pulls me out of it a bit. Maybe it won't in the movie.
    Yeah....i admit also, that is a bit of a hiccup.

Dark kingdom of the dead queen, home to the fallen angels

Quote Originally Posted by Martok2112 View Post
    I loved the music at the beginning of this trailer too. And the way this is shaping up, it makes me think of Firefly just a little bit.
    It kind of has a John Carpenter sound to it..

I will wait for the blu ray on all these since i wasted my time in the theater on the Last Jedi. Train wreck to say the least. Solo had a chance but completely missed the casting of Solo.

If they would create the movies using the path of Rogue One i'd go to all of them. Slow death of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromanzr View Post
    It kind of has a John Carpenter sound to it..
    I'll have to listen again, but ye' may be right.
    In any case, I do hope that the Solo movie has this style of music throughout. I would love to hear a bit more of a rocked up Star Wars score.

Quote Originally Posted by Titon View Post
    I will wait for the blu ray on all these since i wasted my time in the theater on the Last Jedi. Train wreck to say the least. Solo had a chance but completely missed the casting of Solo.

If they would create the movies using the path of Rogue One i'd go to all of them. Slow death of the franchise.
    My big concern is something Kathleen Kennedy supposedly said: Apparently, Star Wars doesn't need male fans anymore, according to her.

And I agree.... more movies in the intensity and vein of Rogue One would be a great shot in the arm for Star Wars. I am hopeful that Solo will be a similar shot in the arm. Yeah, the young Solo may look nothing like the pirate with a heart of gold that we've known and loved over the decades, but if he can pull the role off acting-wise, I don't think we'll mind so much.

Speaking of potential miscasting, here's a major groaner for me: The idea that apparently Lucasfilm/Disney is looking at having Meryl Streep conclude the role of Princess Leia. I say thee, NAY! Please, Lucasfilm, do NOT get that blind, out of touch, Hollyweirdo leftist mouthpiece to tarnish the role that the late, great Carrie Fisher so successfully embodied. But of course, they likely will.... it is Hollywood after all. I'm not going to drop my support of Star Wars because of such a grievous miscasting, but my faith in the franchise will be a bit shaken.

The thing I loved about Rogue One was that it was unapologetically a war movie. I think Kevin Smith may have said it best (I think it was him) It put the War back in Star Wars. I loved it because the Rebels were not the white hat (or in this case, white blast-helmet) good guys that they were in the original trilogy. This was best personified by Captain Andor (shooting his informant near the beginning of the film), and the rebel General who told him to kill Galen Urso when the original mission was to retrieve him.

Seeing Jyn rescue that little girl crying in the middle of a street fight...that was not something that Star Wars seemed to cover. The Star Wars episodic movies always only seemed to cover the battle between two factions: The Trade Federation/Separatists and The Jedi/Republic. Or The Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance. You never really saw the ordinary citizen get caught in the middle of the fight....well, unless you count Luke. Yes, the idea of Star Wars was "ordinary people caught up in extraordinary circumstances".... but that idea really loses its effectiveness when you already practically know the characters and what they will do before the opening crawl of the film has faded.

But Rogue One showed such ordinary people being terrorized by war. Again, the little girl in the middle of the street battle, and subsequently returning the child to her terrified mother. Jyn seeing her own mother killed by the Empire, and later, her father by friendly fire from the Rebels. I think the "ordinary being" was best personified by Bodhi Rook, the Imperial cargo pilot turned defector. Riz Ahmed played that role so neurotically well that you believed he was really just an ordinary, average guy caught up in the war, and wanting to do the right thing.

Perhaps this would make good discussion in a new thread?
    Last edited by Martok2112; 04-13-2018 at 02:01 AM.