Thread: Star Trek Discovery: 'Despite Yourself'

Blog Entries

Default Star Trek Discovery: 'Despite Yourself'

While in unfamiliar territory, the crew must get creative to survive against opposing forces and return home.
    Far too talky and not much is really made of the ship's foray into the Mirror Universe.

Burnam continues to act like an idiot, knowing that Tyler is unfit for duty.

The theory about Tyler seems to be playing out as he offs the doctor when he gets close to the truth.

The Terran empirec ostumes look really disco!

2.5/5
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

I love Mirror Universe stories yet I really disliked this episode. I believe it's time for me to call it a day.

My favorite Mirror Universe story is the two-parter in Star Trek Enterprise. Lots of action in that episode. It also establishes that apparently Constitution class (TOS era) ships had aft photon torpedo launchers. (And T'pol in a TOS mini....although they didn't show enough of her in it.)

Honorable mention goes to Vic Mignogna's (non-canon) Star Trek Continues episode which (for his fan film series) picks up immediately after Mirror Mirror left off.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

I think one of my favorite Mirror stories was the TNG Novel Dark Mirror. I liked what was done there a lot more than what they did with the universe in DS9. I loved the Enterprise Dark Mirror episodes as well.

I've still only seen the first episode of the new show and from what I've read nothing has made me want to give CBS the money to try and watch or catch it from another source.
    The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.

Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martok2112 View Post
    Honorable mention goes to Vic Mignogna's (non-canon) Star Trek Continues episode which (for his fan film series) picks up immediately after Mirror Mirror left off.
    I really liked that one. IMO, it was a good pilot for a series.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Aye, Vic Mignogna has made some really good episodes for his STC fan series.

It always amazes me, the tech and tools available to Joe Average Film Maker....and some folks do really stunning work with the tools.

I remember one time, there was a group of people who were building replicas of certain stage sets (bridge, transporter room, sick bay, typical corridor) for Star Trek fan film makers across the country/world to book time and make use of for their own projects. Sadly, I believe a storm or fire destroyed, or at least heavily damaged a lot of those sets. I think they were in the process of trying to rebuild those sets.

I thought that was a really neat (and of course, free) service those folks had in mind. A fan film maker can't build his/her own sets? Book time with these folks, make sure your fan film team can make that time to get out there and shoot their footage. That was the idea.

I would love to have the resources to do something like that....and, take it one step further. Have blue and greenscreen facilities on hand for certain shots where location shooting might be impractical, or where miniatures could be photographed for the space shots. Have hand props like phasers, tricorders, communicators, and such. Have high quality computer meshes of ships, facilities, landscapes, etc., made available so that the fan film makers can consult with the CG animation staff of such a place and discuss space shots. The turnaround time would probably be pretty slow if demand is high, and of course, the staff artists have their own lives to attend to so that can slow down such production a little bit.

I guess, what I am saying is: To be able to have a facility that can meet the needs of the fan film crews in question. If they have their own means to create space shots and such effects, but no access to practical sets like corridors, the bridge, etc, then great. If a fan film crew has a great idea for their film, but absolutely no means of their own aside from maybe cameras and costumes, then they can come and shoot within the time booked, and consult with the CG/FX staff about the space scenes and such. Costumes would likely be the only prop such an endeavor could not provide.

Ultimately, such a thing would be impossible to run full time. Real-life considerations and all that, unless said owner was independently wealthy. There are other considerations that an owner/owners of such a place could take in. Obviously, they cannot make any money whatsoever for the Star Trek services provided. However, they could run an on-site housing deal for the visiting fan film makers. Be able to accommodate up to, say 30 people. Charge them a reasonable fee for rooms, and even offer food service...sorta like maybe a bed and breakfast deal. That's where they can make their money. Not in the Star Trek services, but in boarding service. The prices would have to be reasonable for the fan film makers, and yet be such that maintaining the place was not a problem (utilities, food restock, perhaps WiFi service, etc.)
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112