Thread: Star Wars Battlefront II quickie review

Default Star Wars Battlefront II quickie review

EA (Electronic Arts) has an interesting business model.....and I say interesting in the very Chinese sense of the word.

Sell what should be a AAA title at a AAA price ($60-$100), and still expect players to pay even more for content that they would otherwise have to grind and grind and grind for in-game. Their microtransactions are above ridiculous, and it was no wonder that so many people cancelled their pre-orders when they found out that in multiplayer, players would have to grind and grind and grind, or cough up bucks to unlock favorite characters/classes/perks/weapons/etc.

But me, I didn't buy Star Wars Battlefront II for the multiplayer crap. I bought it because, unlike its predecessor on PS4 (or any console or platform of the current generation), Battlefront II had a single player campaign. And even at that, EA pulled a bait and switch. (No surprise...it is EA after all.)

First, let's make it perfectly clear. With the exception of the two Bad Company games in EA/DICE's "Battlefield" series, EA/DICE have never prioritized a single player experience. They were all about the online multiplayer. At least the two Bad Company games in that series had really enjoyable and hilarious single player campaigns.

When the first Battlefront game came out for current generation (PS4,Xbone) consoles/PCs, EA/DICE didn't even bother with an SP campaign. They wanted to focus strictly on online multiplayer. Any single player experience in that game was limited to either bot-matches/training scenarios, or the excellent VR X-wing add-on (which was done by a different developer...and to me, was the best part of the game.)

Then with the announcement of Battlefront II, one of the biggest draws for that game was that it would have a single player campaign.
    And then, the trailers of the campaign came out. The trailers showed that you would play an Imperial Special Forces Commander who would lead her troops from the defeat of the Empire at Endor up through the First Order. Basically, it was supposed to be an Empire-centric campaign. And it was touted to be an emotionally charged story from the POV of an Imperial officer.

Well, it is....up until about the third chapter, when, alas, you become a Rebel turncoat, and it stops at the rise of the First Order.

The campaign, even with the bait and switch, was indeed enjoyable....and it does have some good emotional moments, and even a few good laugh out loud moments. The graphics are gorgeous, and the control of the characters was really good. (Controlling starfighters on the other hand needs a LOT of work.)

But I was fully expecting to play an Imperial based campaign from beginning to end.

Ah well.

The single player game, I'll give a 4 out of 5.....and I won't recommend the game to a single soul.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

ironically they made a novelization out of battlefront 2.

And under the new rules of authenticity, both the game and the novel are considered canon.

Apparently, there is a new addition to the single player campaign due out later this month, and I do believe it is for free....which does have me excited.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112