Thread: The Orville: 'Pria'

Blog Entries

Default The Orville: 'Pria'

The crew saves a stranded ship and its attractive Capt. Pria (Charlize Theron); Ed becomes smitten with Pria, but Kelly is suspicious; Gordon attempts to teach Isaac the art of pulling off a practical joke.
    Another ep, another great guest star and the directing by Jonathan Frakes was top-notch.

Adrianne Palicki was also great, she didn't really have to say anything in some scenes, her face told the story.

Was it me, or when Kelly and Alara were searching Pria's cabin, the music echoed the Klingons theme from ST:TMP?

4/5
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

D'accord. Another really good ep. (Charlize Theron was also a co-star in "A Million Ways to Die in the West".)
    It is really cool to see just how many Star Trek alumni McFarlane has brought on board for this.

I'll have to listen to the music on that scene again. This show does seem to like to riff a lot from ST:TMP. Remember when I mentioned certain music cues from a prior episode, sounding much like the "entering the unknown" type of music that Jerry Goldsmith favored...especially in TMP?
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Blog Entries

Steve, I've got the previous ep to rewatch, I''ll try to listen for it and get my special vinyl TMP OST out to listen to.

All credit to the costume designer in this ep too.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

It's the best sci-fi show out there to date. Loved the humor as well, especially when Gordon's leg falls down on the table in Pria's quarters (and of course his new leg as he hobbles to his station).
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
    Steve, I've got the previous ep to rewatch, I''ll try to listen for it and get my special vinyl TMP OST out to listen to.

All credit to the costume designer in this ep too.
    I'll rewatch Pria and see about that music cue during the search scene.

Hats off to ya that you have the vinyl OST to TMP.

Pria's hairstyle made me think a little bit of Sela, Tasha Yar's half Romulan daughter from TNG.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was well written and acted, plus the practical joke thing was pretty funny. I'm finding myself looking forward to each week of the Orville rather than wondering if I will spend the money for CBS All Access. As far as I'm concerned the Orville is the spiritual successor to Roddenberry's Trek - just with dick and fart jokes.
    The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'd be willing to give this one a 4.5. This episode hit so many marks for me, I really can't say that I would change a thing. I really am glad that I stayed with this series. It really us getting better with every passing week.
    "If you can't fix it, you have to stand it" - Ennis Del Mar - Brokeback Mountain