Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Star Trek: Dumpster Fire, a weekly discussion of the CBS All Access hit show

Can Discovery survive Spore Drive?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...ience-blunder/
    Boy before the mirror checks his camouflage polishes his armor and the Charger in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    I got a new router and I’m watching again. The production values continue to impress. I’m not completely on board with the Katra travel stuff. At various times I feel like I’m watching Moore’s BG and not Star Trek.
    You didn't need that new router. There was a streaming problem on CBS' part for that episode. Don't like the long-distance mind melds either and I share the GINO comparison. But last week's ep actually felt almost like Star Trek.

Blog Entries

This week's episode bored the arse off of me.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

I am a bit behind. I just saw Episode 4, "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry."
    I was wondering how all of this fits into the Star Trek continuity. Discovery seems much more tech-advanced than TOS and even some of the spin-offs.
    On another note, this episode had more humor than the others (especially with the Lieutenant), making it more enjoyable to watch.
    I just have to get used to the serialized aspect of the show instead of "stand alone" episodes.
    But I did like 104. Just hate what they call the drive (i.e., the spore drive). And the captured creature is pretty funny looking when seen in the light and "talking" to the spores--except when it's attacking people in self-defense.
    Jim

Blog Entries

'Into the Forest I Go'

Was a fitting end before the mid-season break (why a mid-season break?).

The episode had symmetry to the first two episodes and was well-acted and gripping.

What dragged it down were two hackneyed writing cliches:

A. A character blurts out some secret they had with another character to the character who isn't supposed to know.

B. After the main adventure, a character makes future plans, a sure sign that something's going to go horrendously wrong.

The action on the Klingon ship's bridge reminded me of the first Kelvinverse movie but it was worth it just to hear the Klingons speaking English at last!

I must say, Tyler's PTSD flashbacks were well handled, they could either be taken as him being tortured or turned into a human!

4/5
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Still behind but will catch up before January when Discovery returns...
    Just saw Episode 105: "Choose Your Pain."
    I am a bit ambivalent about this episode.

Spoiler
    So Captain Lorca is captured and tortured by the Klingons who want Discovery's secrets; he subsequently finds himself in a cell with Harry Mudd, who is definitely different from TOS fun-loving schemer. He's more mopey and jaded.
    So Discovery attempts to employ the spore drive to rescue the Captain, but the "symbiotic" creature that uses the spores enters an almost comatose state.
    Meanwhile Lorca escapes his cell, but leaves Mudd imprisoned. He secures a craft and heads into space. And Discovery chances upon the craft (surprise, surprise!) and transports him onto the starship. Discovery then uses warp speed to get away, thanks to one of the human officers developing a symbiotic connection with the spores.
    The epilogue has the creature being sent out into space with the spores, and it recovers as it is free at last!

The story seems to be a retread of other sci-fi series' plots, minus the spore drive element.
    And there was not as much humor in this installment so it did drag in places.
    Discovery is still not resonating for me like The Orville.
    Jim

Up to Episode #106. So here are my reactions to "Lethe."
    Spoiler
    This one had a definite plus going for it: Ambassador Sarek! His life is in danger by the purist Vulcans who attack him & his ship, which is an interesting premise. And Michael knows this due to the katra bond that she shares with him. So Discovery searches for the Ambassador in the area of his last reported position. Michael takes a shuttle into the nebula with Tilly aboard. Sarek is communicating to Michael about his choosing his son Spock over her for the Vulcan Expeditionary Group, and "failed" her by making her think she was not worthy. That is what is haunting the severely wounded Sarek now. He does manage to activate the transponder on his ship, and Michael is able to hone in on the signal. They retrieve Sarek (not shown unfortunately) and bring him back to Discovery. Sarek does not want to talk about the incident with Michael so she has to work through those feelings by herself.

No spore drive in this one, yeaaaa!
    I did like the epilogue: the Starfleet Admiral replaces Sarek as one of the peace envoy, but she is captured by the Klingons. TBC yet again.
    Jim