Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Dumpster Fire, a weekly discussion of the CBS All Access hit show

Default Star Trek: Dumpster Fire, a weekly discussion of the CBS All Access hit show

Quote Originally Posted by koenigrules View Post
    I really liked the second episode. Perhaps someone can start a new thread?
    Jim
    Your wish is my command.

In week three we are introduced to Discovery, Spore Drive and it appears Michelle Burnham becomes a permanent member of the Discovery crew.

In week four we’ll learn more about Discovery’s clandestine military research, more about why Captain Lorca brought the dangerous alien lion thing aboard?

What are you looking for next based on what we’ve seen thus far?
    Boy before the mirror checks his camouflage polishes his armor and the Charger in the garage

The effects were pretty awesome as the Federation engaged with the Klingons in a space battle in the second episode. And I liked how they destroyed the main Klingon ship.

The VFX on the show are very good. And for the budget they better be. I don't think I've seen a single person online claim that they aren't.

BTW, AO, glad to know that you and yours are alright. I realize it's a bit belated, and I apologize. We have another system heading up the Gulf. Looks like it might clip New Orleans this time. Hopefully it remains at Cat 1 or less.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Haven't watched it. Can't say I want to. Dave Cullen had these thoughts about what he's seen so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBb0hyuIfYQ

Blog Entries

"The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"

With tensions and stakes high as Starfleet continues in their efforts to end the war with Klingons, Burnham begins to settle in to her new position aboard the U.S.S. Discovery.
    Everyone in this show seems to have a degree of stupidity in them that makes you wonder how they managed to graduate from Starfleet Academy.

The security officer died because of her own stupidity. She was unlikeable and one note, so I couldn't give a toss.

The only characters I like are Tilly and L'Rell.

Speaking of L'Rell, the subtitles are getting old already, why not just use the dramatic convention of speaking english in the Klingon-only scenes and save the klingonese for scenes with Klingons and non-Klingons?

The Klingon spacesuit was a great design, obviously channeling Giger, but once again, it served to remind me that this show is supposed to be set in the Prime universe and the level of tech continues to be jarring.

Also, the super dust mite has been shown to be able to rip through the bulkhead of a starship, why didn't it break out of its cage that way?

The mission objectives in this episode were compelling but the plot holes and imposed character stupidity to drive the plot just made it average.

2.5/5
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
    The mission objectives in this episode were compelling but the plot holes and imposed character stupidity to drive the plot just made it average.

2.5/5
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity Orange View Post
    I've been saying, "Spore Drive" out loud and shaking my head all day.
    OMG, they actually call it Spore Drive!
    Boy before the mirror checks his camouflage polishes his armor and the Charger in the garage

i have not tuned in. might of if the show were not a pay per view event.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    Agreed.
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRogers View Post
    OMG, they actually call it Spore Drive!
    Spore Propulsion Drive in full. Last week I joked they'd start talking to the fungus. This episode they did.

I really hope the show is a one and done.

House of Kor ...

Blog Entries

I thought this would be my final week watching Star Trek Discovery, but the end of the ep was actually Star Trek-y, you know like back in the day, as envisioned by the two Genes, Roddenberry and Coon (people always forget about Gene Coon, but without him, IMO, Star Trek would never have lasted as long as it has).

I've got a theory, that Star Trek needs balls and the man responsible for giving Star Trek balls, was writer/producer Gene Coon.

No balls and you end up with something like Star Trek: The Next Generation, which was only good for about 3.5 series out of the seven it actually aired.

Too ballsy and you end up with Star Trek Discovery. Every thing's so full on it hardly has any time to breathe.

Anyway, this week, just to prove how edgy and non-network they are, they used the f-word, twice. I suppose next week it will be tits.

Honestly, there was no need.

The same goes for the appearance of TOS character, Harry Mudd. Could have been anyone. Didn't seem like Mudd, as I remember the character. It was Mudd just for shits and giggles and to probably show TOS fans they're making an effort. The same goes for the readout of starship captains in Saru's quarters that shows some familiar names to fans.

Anyway, the weird-ass Klingons show up again (was that really a D-7?) and Burnham and Tilly set the spice navigator (sic) free in the end (that was the Star Trek-y moment.

This thread is called 'Star Trek: Dumpster Fire' (thanks, John Rogers) and nothing as yet has persuaded me, that this show isn't exactly that.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"