Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: After at least ten years, I'm finally rebuilding my Galactica

You have come a long way my friend.

Keep it up.

Most kind, my friend. Thank you.

Next up is working on the launch bay itself. (I'll probably smoke'n'mirrors that one a little bit.)
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

My launch bay set for a classic Colonial battlestar:

This was about a half-day build...after building a launch tube, which itself only took about two hours.
    Hope you like.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Gonna do a bit of a retouch to my Galactica model. Something I did with my build I did ten years ago.
    The recovery/launch bay pontoons.

I'm going to lower the launch bays by one level. That way, the Vipers land in the upper recovery deck, and then lower by mechanical lifts to the maintenance and launch tubes deck. In watching the original show, as I got older, I just couldn't buy the way the recovery bay and launch tubes were arranged, being on the same deck. It's one thing to launch larger support craft like shuttles out of the same deck, but Vipers and launch tubes?....I think one deck lower is the answer....for my personal build. It shouldn't impact the look of the ship too much. The pontoons will just look a little bit thicker from top to bottom.

Pics when available.

So the landing pontoon retains its same shape and dimensions. I simply raised the recovery bay so that it sat a deck above the launch tubes. The configuration makes more sense to me. A ship as colossal and advanced as a Colonial battlestar should be able to carry out recovery and launch operations in a tactical environment.

Also added my launch tube builds to some parts of the flight pontoons, so when I get down to more animating, I can do some dynamic Viper launches into space.

Blog Entries

Really quite like the redesigned end pods of the launch bays.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Thank you, Peter. Most kind.

And here, for the most part, is my Viper cockpit set up. No, it's not terribly impressive....and I should've added some dimension to individual buttons and knobs and toggles....but the cockpit is going to be crowded with a pilot in it anyway, so I don't plan on doing too many interior cockpit shots.
    The flight stick, I had a bit of a dilemma on.... do I want to make it look exactly like the old '78, 3 button flight stick, or do I want to make it look more advanced? I went with the latter, but I didn't want to make it look like a Saitek super future flight stick.... so I went with a middle ground. It adds a dpad and some hat switches, but still looks classic enough that it's not out of place or too far out of time with the look of the Viper itself.
    This same flight stick I use on the helm station of my battlestar bridge build.

Well, dag nabbit, shucks, darn, frak, felgercarb, stang, karabast, and jijo de la mala palabraaaaaaaaaaaa......!!!!

Some newer tools had just come out for Blender which seems to really help even more with my model building in Blender. Now it looks like yet another rebuild of my models is in the works.

At this rate, I'll never get my videos done, LOL!
    First up, the Galactica.
    Pics when ready.