Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wow - the first lady Doctor

Blog Entries

Default Wow - the first lady Doctor

Since "cutting the cable," I've not seen Dr. Who so have missed this entire last series, but I've been following the speculation and this announcement really doesn't surprise me; I've been waiting for it ever since Missy appeared...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/16/doctor-w...tainmentweekly

The knee-jerk bashing has already begun, but I'll be interested to hear what people really think once she's seen in action.
    The Great Wise Guru

Dirk Benedict's official site: DirkBenedictCentral.com Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Laurette Spang's official site: LauretteSpang.com

"...I aim to misbehave." Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

I no longer fight my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Blog Entries

It's now established that Time Lords can change gender, so it was bound to happen at some point.

Outside of fandom, will the audience accept it? That remains to be seen.

Personally, I'm not interested in watching a female Doctor, but there's plenty of other things for me to watch, so I'll just take a break for a bit.

It's a very brave choice, but it doesn't come without considerable risk for the BBC.
    "The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post

Personally, I'm not interested in watching a female Doctor, but there's plenty of other things for me to watch, so I'll just take a break for a bit.
    Do you mind if I ask why?

On a separate but related note, prior to this season, I thought that Dr Who was kind of going downhill a little and the lack of interest in the current season, both here on Tombs and more broadly, seem to suggest that others thought so too. Having said that, I thought the second half of this season was pretty interesting and sometimes, it is when you know you're coming to an end / the end that you put an extra burst, so maybe that's why the back end felt "better".

In any case, maybe the Beeb felt it needed to "do something" to arrest the decline?

As the commentators had to be reminded this morning this isn't the first, there are two precedence and the idea of a femal incarnation for the Doctor has been toyed with Since Tom Baker.

Doctor Who made sweeping changes to its main character and direction many times. Of late the reboot has been in rut. It need fresh writing and fresh style.

Not because it wasnt good, but the overly frenetic episode structure and villain of the week format has lost its edge. Time for change.
    Writing communicates through time, allowing us to read the very words written by the ancients. We might read the proclaimations of rulers, or a simple laundry list.. Sometimes its hard to tell the difference...

Looking forward to it.
    Capaldi's last season was stellar, and I am hoping it is the same with the new Doctor.
    Jim

I will at least check out the series with the new female doctor, just to see if she's any good...
    -------------------------------------------------------
    "Live, Highlander, grow stronger. Fight another day." Methos - The episode "Methos" from Season Three, Highlander the Series.

Dark kingdom of the dead queen, home to the fallen angels

So is it going to be a cougar with a twenty something human athletic dude helping her out?

oh no. the doctor is castrated. i think the michele gomez master was supposed to be a love interest for the doctor.

Dark kingdom of the dead queen, home to the fallen angels

Or.maybe it will be a sexy Cougar with a hawt young babe ala Electrowoman and Dynagirl....

So she's a Time Lady now?

Not sure I like this... seems unnecessary. Sounds like PC gone amok. Why not simply create a spinoff female Time Lady? I don't see the need for this. It sounds like shock for the sake of shock.