Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Teaser Trailer)

Blog Entries

Default Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Teaser Trailer)

"The next wave of fascism will come not with cattle cars and camps. It will come with a friendly face." - Bertram Gross, "Friendly Fascism"

I don't know, the more I watch the Force Awakens the less I like it, and so far, the Last Jedi hasn't given me any excitement. I get a feeling of a different universe than the Star Wars universe, like some bad fanfiction story.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Site is back up here, www.ajscifistories.com, and you can get updates on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ajstories

Want a laugh, check out http://www.kittylaughs.com

It needs more movies in the vein of Rogue One. (Over a short period of time, IMHO, Rogue One is the best SW movie ever.)
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

Quote Originally Posted by Martok2112 View Post
    It needs more movies in the vein of Rogue One. (Over a short period of time, IMHO, Rogue One is the best SW movie ever.)
    I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue One.

Having said that, I've also read a fair number of detractors who think it didn't really have characters (which I didn't quite understand because I thought they were quite interesting given the time and number involved) and a great story. Many thought it relied too much on flash and bang.

As I said, I personally thought it was a really good movie. Am looking forward to Last Jedi to see if it can go beyond Force Awakens. Can understand the criticisms of FA but we need to realize that they were re-starting this from the prequels so they really had to go hard at the fans. Hopefully, now that they have the "credibility", they can move forward and Last Jedi won't be Empire 2.0 (in terms of plot anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed Rogue One.

Having said that, I've also read a fair number of detractors who think it didn't really have characters (which I didn't quite understand because I thought they were quite interesting given the time and number involved) and a great story. Many thought it relied too much on flash and bang.

As I said, I personally thought it was a really good movie. Am looking forward to Last Jedi to see if it can go beyond Force Awakens. Can understand the criticisms of FA but we need to realize that they were re-starting this from the prequels so they really had to go hard at the fans. Hopefully, now that they have the "credibility", they can move forward and Last Jedi won't be Empire 2.0 (in terms of plot anyway).
    For me there was a lot the writers could have done, and in many areas seemed almost universe breaking. Like the whole Force mind reading, that was breaking canon to me. Stopping a laser blast, breaking. Even the universe seemed completely different, not a vast cosmic scale, but I got the impression it was all contained in one solar system.
    And don't get me started with the whole planet killer planet thing, terrible beyond words with so many problems I couldn't suspend my sci-fi belief.
    Rogue One was good, and I felt more like I was in the Star Wars universe than FA.
    Every time I think of FA, it drops further and further down.

Site is back up here, www.ajscifistories.com, and you can get updates on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ajstories

Quote Originally Posted by AJMarks View Post
    For me there was a lot the writers could have done, and in many areas seemed almost universe breaking. Like the whole Force mind reading, that was breaking canon to me. Stopping a laser blast, breaking. Even the universe seemed completely different, not a vast cosmic scale, but I got the impression it was all contained in one solar system.
    And don't get me started with the whole planet killer planet thing, terrible beyond words with so many problems I couldn't suspend my sci-fi belief.
    Rogue One was good, and I felt more like I was in the Star Wars universe than FA.
    Every time I think of FA, it drops further and further down.
    True, nobody in any of the first six films "stopped" a blaster bolt dead in its tracks.... but I looked at Kylo Ren's stopping of it as an evolution of Force power, not a universe breaking event. Not just deflecting a blaster bolt like Vader, but actually stopping it in its tracks. It was an evolution of that previous Force power....and it made for a cool visual effect.

I didn't see mind reading as a canon/universe breaker either. I mean, the Jedi can impose their will on the weak minded. Also, how do you explain the Jedi or Darth Vader saying: "Your thoughts (or feelings) betray you." I'd say that's mind reading...passive as it may have been, it was still mind reading.

Starkiller Base made me think that they borrowed from the comic of Dark Empire II/Empire's End. In that, the cloned Emperor had a weapon called a "Galaxy Gun", it could destroy a ship, a city, or even a planet anywhere in the galaxy, once its firing computer had the coordinates of said targets. It was a large, stationary weapon...man made.

Those elements didn't make for a great Star Wars movie, but it was still, IMHO, an enjoyable one. It doesn't really rate in my top three for Star Wars movies. That falls to 1.Rogue One, 2. Revenge of the Sith, 3. The Empire Strikes Back.

Rogue One was a far greater Star Wars experience. It was a fun movie, but it was also, most unapologetically a war movie....and I think that's what I loved about it, aside from being set in my favorite era for Star Wars.

Some might think they "broke canon" (or at least what was long held as official Star Wars historical info) by switching out the creator of the Death Star, (originally, for many years, the creator/architect of the Death Star was officially held to be Bevel Lemelisk, but was switched out for Galen Erso, and switched out how the weakness for the Death Star came into being) and how the Rebels got the plans for the Death Star, but the movie was so well done that I could easily disregard the old canon for the new. Rogue One made sense in those regards. Also, they at least stuck with the notion that it was Wilhuff Tarkin who suggested the idea of an expeditionary battle planetoid with dreadful firepower in the years prior to Rogue One/Episode IV.

Rogue One put me in the mind of such classic war films as "Guns of Navarone" and "Where Eagles Dare". I also liked the little elements, like Jyn referring to her parents as "mama" and "papa"....it called to mind more World War II stories and movies.

It also helped that there were the classic ships and icons of Star Wars.... classic Empire, Darth Vader, Death Star, classic Rebels. I liked that there were, of course, no Jedi, no lightsabers. The Force was a distant memory for Chirrut Imwe, but a memory and faith that he held strongly to. I liked the "Force Monk" idea with him and Baze being "Guardians of the Whills".

There was also great emotion in Rogue One, again, calling to mind WWII stories and movies.

I especially liked how it showed that the Rebellion was not always a squeaky clean, let's save the galaxy the honorable way kind of Alliance. They showed the dark and terrible side of the Rebellion in this film, and I thought that made it extremely compelling.

Another thing I thought made this film stand out above the other films....the acting. Nothing, to me, felt stilted. Nothing seemed.....cheesy.

It just had compelling elements that weren't in your typical, squeaky clean Star Wars movie, and to me, that's what makes this the best one yet. Future Star Wars movies have a considerable standard to live up to with Rogue One.
    Last edited by Martok2112; 06-07-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    "It is not so much that I am a smart man, rather that I have simply been accused of having good ideas....on occasion." -Martok2112
    "Much of what I know, I don't know half as well as I'd like, and half of what I know is more than deserves to be learned." -Martok2112

I don't really buy the evolution of the Force, due to the fact the Force has been around for 1000s of years, and Jedi and Sith alike have pushed the boundary all that time. In all of the Force users, it was never experimented with? I just find it a crutch for the story due to poor writing.
    As for the Death Star in Rogue One, I thought Galen was the one who designed the weapon of the Death Star, not the actual base. So for me, it never broke canon, unlike TFA.

Quote Originally Posted by AJMarks View Post
    I don't really buy the evolution of the Force, due to the fact the Force has been around for 1000s of years, and Jedi and Sith alike have pushed the boundary all that time. In all of the Force users, it was never experimented with? I just find it a crutch for the story due to poor writing.
    As for the Death Star in Rogue One, I thought Galen was the one who designed the weapon of the Death Star, not the actual base. So for me, it never broke canon, unlike TFA.
    That may be...that he just designed the weapon, but he also deliberately set up the exhaust port weakness that somehow eluded the eyes of other Death Star designers and commanders.

After 1000s of years, it was Qui-Gon who figured out how to retain his identity and spirit beyond death and commune with the living. I mean, this was something brand new even to Yoda, whom I believe said that such a thing was impossible in The Clone Wars. So the idea of evolution of Force abilities still holds weight....even after little inconveniences like death.

Besides, life's too short for me to over-worry about small things like "canon".
    Last edited by Martok2112; 06-08-2017 at 08:17 AM.