Warning: Declaration of vBCms_Item_Content::setItemId() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::setItemId() in ..../packages/vbcms/item/content.php on line 26
Tombs of Kobol Forums - Home
  • Home

by Published on 05-24-2010 02:02 PM  Number of Views: 1766 

Okay, let's make one thing clear, I am not a Whovian.

There have been times when Doctor Who has been on (before the 205 relaunch) when I'd watch something else (Buck Rogers or The A-Team), something glossier, faster-paced and with production values!

However, I have watched all of the eps and specials since the show came back, but this year something is lacking.

It's not Matt Smith as the Doctor. Like Peter Davison before him, Matt had to follow one of the most popular Doctor actors of all time, but with his first utterances and his first couple of scenes in 'The Eleventh Hour', he was definitely the Doctor! And unlike Davison, Smith wasn't a household name before he got the part.

It might be Karen Gillan, who is an okay actress, but her character is too bolshie and too emotionally stunted, plus she's no Catherine Tate, who in my mind played the best Who companion of all-time, Donna Noble. Also, her Scots accent gets on my nerves.

But my finger is really pointing at Steven Moffat, the so-called saviour of Who for the disenfranchised anoraks put off by previous showrunner Russell T. Davies's 'emo' Who.

Now Moffat is a very clever writer has evidenced by his scripts that featured in the previous four seasons, but there's been nothing to match the emotional punch to the stomach of 'The Girl In The Fireplace', or the head-swimming complexity of 'Blink'.

Now it looks like Moffat may be doing his magician's reveal for the finale, when all will become clear and fans will fawn and say how clever he is, but so far his self-penned eps and other writers' eps haven't reached the heights of 'Father's Day', 'Turn Left' or 'Human Nature'/'The Family Of Blood'.

I really liked 'The Hungry Earth', which was strange because it's probably the most 'traditional' episode of the new run of the series since it started. It's very Jon Pertwee era Who, which isn't surprising when you consider that the big bads for this ep and the one after it, the Silurians, first turned up in a Pertwee story.

I think Moffat can't decide what he wants his run to be, he wants it to be different from Davies, he probably wants it to be more traditional, but he doesn't want to piss off the audience that have been watching for the past four years and with them, his bosses.

This muddle-headedness on the part of Moffat is having an affect, the unanorky are starting to come down from a high and looking around saying "Well, it's good but not as good as previous series!

So Mr Moffat, you've got to decide what you want your series to be. Changing the Tardis, Daleks and theme arrangement are wallpaper; it's time to build an extension and shore up the foundations before the House Of Who falls down!
    by Published on 02-28-2010 04:19 PM

Greetings!

There's still more to do, but we've got the basic Tombs format back in place. You'll see some of ...
    by Published on 02-23-2010 01:34 PM  Number of Views: 2251 

No doubt, as you're logging back in to Tombs of Kobol, you are seeing a totally different look and layout.