PDA

View Full Version : Comicville: Legion of Three Worlds

Bishop37
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/FinalCrisis/Legion/AC863-24.jpg

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152225

CaptainTux
04-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Sigh...final crisis till they need to ramp up sales and convolute the plotlines again.

Loki
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
So the Levitz Legion isn't going away with the conclusion of the Action Comics storyline.

Impreszive
04-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I skipped out on DC because of this. Waiting for Blackest Night in '09

Darrell Lawrence
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, to answer the question on the top of the cover: "Who will answer their call for help?"

As I look at the characters on there, I see one missing. One that could beat the crap out of S-boy Prime even.

Mon-El ;)

Alternity Orange
04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
But which Mon-El? There were four or five versions of him within the three Legions. Only the original would be a match for Superboy-Prime. And that's not even counting that awful "Valor" nonsense. I for one am really glad they are bringing back the original Legion. It's been great seeing them again. I hope they are still featured regularly when this is done.

Bishop37
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I for one am really glad they are bringing back the original Legion. It's been great seeing them again. I hope they are still featured regularly when this is done.

Same here. The "Levitz Legion" is my Legion, though I did like the DnA version.

Darrell Lawrence
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Which one killed the Time Trapper with one punch? That was the original, right?

Bishop37
04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
GEOFF JOHNS: LEGION OF 3 WORLDS, II
by Vaneta Rogers

If you were around yesterday, you know from the first part of our interview with DC writer Geoff Johns that he and artist George Perez will be uniting for a five-issue mini-series called Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds in August.

According to Johns, the epic storyline set in the 31st century is accessible for both long-time Legion fans and those people who have never read a Legion comic before – and it will have some sort of tie into the Final Crisis story that Grant Morrison is telling with artist J.G. Jones.

Today, we continue our talk with Johns about the story, but now we help out Legion of Super-Heroes fans by asking Johns to focus a little closer on his favorite Legion characters and explain why he thinks they’re important to the DCU. And as we tried to clear up some remaining questions about those Legion members who appeared in Countdown to Final Crisis, we found out Johns is interested in writing an ongoing Legion comic.

Newsarama: You keep talking about how much you like the Legion characters. Let's talk about those characters for a little bit here. Who are some of your favorites?

Geoff Johns: It’s been fun to delve into it all with Eddie [Berganza] and Adam [Schalgman]. Eddie’s a diehard, Adam is a newly converted Legion fan. They’ve been pouring over the stuff with me. My original love stems from the love Paul Levitz has. Upon reading his stories, you become infected with it. That’s where it started for me. My favorite Legion characters are the three founders – Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad – and Brainiac 5, Wildfire and Dawnstar, and Polar Boy and Sun Boy. And essentially, those eight are going to be my main Legionnaires.

And actually, there's kind of a twist coming up with one of the Legionnaires floating around in the 21st century. There's a pretty big twist coming up. A hint of that is in Action Comics #864, but it will be played out in Legion of Three Worlds. But a lot of the Legionnaires – they’ve all struggled with certain things. Different people are in different places, and it's really picking up on a group of aliens from all different planets coming together to try to reassure the universe that, hey, we can all unite; we can all co-exist and learn from one another. But the universe itself is plagued by a growing xenophobia and is saying, a united universe is a dream; this will never happen; you're obsolete. And that's where we pick up on the Legion.

NRAMA: So the idea is that the universe thinks superheroes are obsolete?

GJ: Not super-heroes, the Legion of Super-Heroes. All these aliens coming together – like a Durlan and a Braalian and someone from Imsk – coming together and standing side by side, and fighting for what Superman taught the entire universe: Truth, justice and the (ancient) American Way. You see these Legionnaires striving to do what Superman did, striving to be heroes to a universe; where Superman was a hero to Earth, they're going for the whole universe. And it's not an easy job.

So you have everyone telling them, "This is impossible. You can't change how people think. You can't change how people act." At one point, someone tells them, "You still call yourself boys and girls, and a united universe is a boys and girls dream."

NRAMA: It's pretty cool that you've gotten together the Legion of Super-Villains. Any favorites among their ranks?

GJ: They're pretty messed up. The Fatal Five are my favorites, I think, out of anybody. But there are minor characters in there that I love too, like Sun Emperor, who I think is completely twisted, and a great character.

NRAMA: There's a creepy scene back in the Levitz run where he just fries a waitress for fun.

GJ: Yeah. He's really brutal. So you take the powers of the Legionnaires and you put them into the hands of psychotic villains, all out to destroy them for various reasons. I really love the three founders too – Cosmic King, Saturn Queen and Lightning Lord. Lightning Lord in particular just 'cause of his relationship with Lightning Lad being his older brother. Lightning Lass is another character that shines. I love Gary Frank’s design for her. The Ranzz family is really, really fun to write.

NRAMA: You mentioned the three founders – Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl – being among your favorites. If someone were to ask you what's so great and unique about those three founders, what would you say?

GJ: Oh, there's so much to say. Comic Boy is like the all-around leader who puts it all on his shoulders, but he's magnetic. His powers are all about magnetics, and so it carries over to his personality. And he struggles to bring all the Legion back together. He's like, "We can do this! We can bring it together!" It comes naturally to him. Whereas Lightning Lad is like, "You know what? Whatever happens, happens. Screw it."

NRAMA: [laughs] Like lightning. Just do it and see where it lands.

GJ: And Saturn Girl tempers them. Saturn Girl is the heart and soul of the Legion of Super-Heroes. When everybody's saying, "Legion doesn't work anymore. There's too much xenophobia. You can't change people." Saturn Girl says, "Yes, you can." Then suddenly, you realize she can read people's minds. She knows everyone's deepest, darkest secrets. If she has faith, then at the base level, human beings and aliens and everybody can reach that goal, can reach that achievement and have that goodness inside them. I believe her. I'm with her. And that's why Saturn Girl is so important to the Legion. She says, "We can do this." And it's like, well, if she believes it, then I believe it too. She's at the epicenter of truth for the entire universe for me.

But those three characters are absolutely vital to the DC Universe.

NRAMA: Vital to the DC Universe? Even though they're in the 31st century?

GJ: I don't care what year it is. Those characters helped teach Superman all about truth, justice and the American way. And if you look at each of them, they all represent one of those. You have Saturn Girl who's embodying truth. You have Lightning Lad embodying justice, sometimes to a fault. You have Cosmic Boy embodying the American way. He's the leader, the one trying to bring all these aliens together, and the one who hopes for a better tomorrow. A universe that is a melting pot.

NRAMA: Interesting. I'd never looked at them in that way.

GJ: They’re some of DC’s best heroes.

NRAMA: Are there characters who, when you started to write them, they surprised you? That you found more to their personalities than you thought?

GJ: Sun Boy and Dawnstar. The more I write Sun Boy, the more I realize he might be the most compelling of the team. I just really like where he is. He's in a place at the end of Action Comics that is very different from the other Legionnaires. I just really like what he's dealing with and how he's processing it and what his story is. I'm excited about that one.

And Dawnstar. Imagine if you always knew where your path was going. You’d be focused on getting there. Right now, she doesn’t have time for anything but flying down the right path. And the question becomes, do you fly that path alone? Or do you veer off it for someone you care about?

The White Witch has been great. Paul Levitz really made me fall in love with that character all over again when I was reading his White Witch back-ups from Legion. Those back-ups are a huge inspiration on my approach to character.

I've really enjoyed writing just about everybody. They're all so different. And I really hope that a lot of people coming to the Legion for the first time see how interesting and intriguing these guys are. They're all aliens. They're all like Superman. They're all immigrants to earth, inspired by what he did in the 31st century. And there's still problems they have to solve.

NRAMA: You know, I don't know if this is going to come across in the written interview, but the tone of your voice and the way you're talking, it's almost overwhelming how excited you are about writing these characters.

GJ: Well, it’s a huge piece of the DC Universe I haven’t had a lot of time with. I’d love to write more Legion after this sometime. Maybe a Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes book.

NRAMA: Do you think it will happen?

GJ: Let’s see what everyone thinks of Legion of 3 Worlds. I have my ideas.

NRAMA: But what about the current Legion comic that Jim Shooter’s writing. Does this story affect that?

GJ: Jim Shooter is a legend to the Legion, Francis Manipul is doing a fantastic job alongside him, of course, they’ll be in this. And their attitude is going to be fairly unique, keeping in line with what Jim’s been building in the book.

NRAMA: Let’s talk about some of the questions long-time Legion fans have had about the Legion members. After Duo Damsel – or Una? – showed up in Countdown, there were a lot of questions among Legion fans about how she lost what dupes when. Will this mini-series deal with those questions?

GJ: Actually, Action Comics #864 will be an epilogue to the Superman and the Legion arc. And it deals with all the Legionnaires that are currently in the 21st century.

NRAMA: Will Action Comics #864 also answer the remaining questions about Karate Kid’s presence here…or well, resting place on that other earth?

GJ: It will acknowledge Karate Kid and Una, but it’s really more about Superman hanging out with a childhood friend, Lightning Lad, and a current friend, Batman. You ever do that? They don’t always get along.

NRAMA: And you'll explain in this series why there are three different Legions?

GJ: Sure. It’s not a big secret. That’s not the mystery of the book. We have plenty more of those.

NRAMA: When we interviewed you about your Legion story in Action Comics, you hinted that because there are 52 universes, there are 52 future universes as well. Is that what the reason is for the various Legions? Different universes?

GJ: I mean, it's pretty straightforward. Some people say, "The Legion's rebooted all the time." It's not rebooted all the time. It's been rebooted twice. So there are three Legions out there that fans have explored and seen and read about, to me. The original Legion and the Zero Hour reboot are the ones I read when I was in high school and college. I went from the Levitz/Giffen era through the Zero Hour reboot with Mark Waid and Tom Peyer and Stuart Immonen and Jeff Moy. That was a whole new Legion and they started it from scratch. And Mark Waid simply started it again.

So there's been three. But the focus is definitely on Superman and the Legion.

NRAMA: From the looks of the image that was released to promote DC Universe #0, we're going to get information about this story in that issue, aren't we?

GJ: There's a little bit of a look at it in DC Universe #0. That comic is designed to be a 50-cent comic that you can give to anybody, whether they read DC Comics or don't. You want it rolled up in your back pocket. That's what it's designed for. It's designed to just toss around and say, "Look at all these guys! Cool! What are they about?"

What are these concepts about? What's the DC Universe about? Where is it going? What stories are coming up? What characters are going to hook you? What characters do you find appealing? What scenarios? What's exciting about the DC Universe?

Working on DC Universe #0, when Grant and I were really dissecting it one night, it was the single greatest co-writing experience I’ve had. Something happened when we were delving into it and, swear to God, it was like the universe opened up for us. Like we’d already been going down the right road and we suddenly realized everything was lining up. It was bizarre.

NRAMA: So this issue is about finding what's exciting about the DC Universe?

GJ: The thing I really like about the DCU is that it's so varied. There are so many different stories. Dan Didio is really keyed in on that right now. It’s great. And when you've got Final Crisis, which is this big Grant Morrison story. You know his mind. It's going to be fricking insane -- his huge DC Universe epic. The first issue will blow anything else out there out of the water. It just will.

At the same time, I get to do another story in the 31st century revolving on the Legion of Super-Heroes. And at the same time, we have all these stories with all this different flavor. I’ve read two scripts by Greg that made me wish I wrote them recently. Two amazing scripts for books coming out this year. James Robinson is jumping back into the DCU, hell, Nightwing is great. I just heard about Dwayne’s plans for Justice League and Dan told me about a twist in Teen Titans coming up. There are a lot of wonderful books and creators in the DC Universe. I think that's really exciting, and that's what DC Universe is all about. It's to say, hey, this is what we’ve got.

NRAMA: You know, this mini-series taking place in the 31st century, people might think... well, this isn't going to really affect my current DCU comics that I read. What would you tell those people about this story?

GJ: It's a story I'm extremely proud of, a comic I'm extremely proud of. Whether it “affects” the current DCU or not is irrelevant…but it does. A lot. Long live the Legion.

Darrell Lawrence
04-03-2008, 04:49 PM
And actually, there's kind of a twist coming up with one of the Legionnaires floating around in the 21st century. There's a pretty big twist coming up. A hint of that is in Action Comics #864, but it will be played out in Legion of Three Worlds.Floating around sure sounds like Mon-El in the Phantom Zone, but somehow I doubt it...